Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Topic Proposal for Policy Paper

For my Policy Paper I plan to argue for the necessity of keeping the death penalty in place. It has been in issue up for debate in many states throughout the United States and I want to go into the details for the importance of keeping it in place. I might even be able to extend to the global level depending on the amount of information I can gather.
There are two main sides to the issue of the death penalty. The opposition to it argues that it is not only a cruel punishment, but also is not effective in deterring criminals from committing those criminals that commit crimes that warrant the death penalty from doing so. They think that life in prison is a viable alternative to the death penalty. However those in support argue that solution to be ineffective. They feel like the death penalty does in fact deter criminals from committing such crimes. Supporters also that it is the only way to hold people truly accountable for the crimes that they commit. The two sides don’t seem to be anywhere close to deciding the issue, so until it is the decision has been left to the individual states.
Ideally they could come to some sort of consensus that keeps the death penalty in place. If they were make the restrictions on the death penalty a little more stringent then they could hopefully agree and pass a bill that makes the death penalty legal in every single state.
The justification for my proposal will hopefully come from websites that have figures and data in support of the death penalty. Also quotes from key figures in the debate will be helpful as well. Through those my goal is that the justification for the death penalty will be one of simple reasoning; if a person commits such an appalling crime the death penalty should always be there as a possible sentence.
I’m going to be basing my proposal from many of the ideas that were brought up in my exploratory paper by the supporters of the death penalty. I should hopefully be able to use all of the sources that I used for that portion of the exploratory paper in this paper.
My main concern about the paper is going to be finding new sources that are reliable. There are plenty of unreliable sources in favor of the death penalty out there, but is going to be a lot of work to go through and sort out the good and the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment