Ever since I learned how to write the letters of the alphabet I have been writing. Writing has been very important in my life ever since I was young enough to read and write. I like the joys and frustrations that come with it, especially the satisfaction that I feel once I complete whatever it is that I am writing. There have most certainly been pieces that I have written that have been more frustrating or enjoyable than others, but I know that it all serves a greater purpose, to make me a better writer.
My most frustrating writing experience that I ever encountered took place in the second grade. Every Monday when our class returned from the weekend our teacher required us to write a one page journal about what we did over the weekend. For me talking about what I did was never the issue, the problem for me was that we could not start a sentence off with the same word twice. Looking back at that assignment some might laugh at that being my most frustrating experience in the fourteen years that I’ve been writing, but for a seven year old it was quite difficult. I with had the tendency to want to start every sentence the word “the” and I would get so mad when I couldn’t think of another word to use. With my second grade vocabulary I would become so frustrated trying to find a new word to start off every sentence that made sense as well. Eventually I would get my journal written, but I never understood why we had to do it. Eleven years later I realize why, now I truly do appreciate that experience for forcing me to expand the vocabulary in my writing.
Enjoyable writing for me is writing that requires the least amount of time, however there are very few of those nowadays. But last year in my English class I did get to experience a somewhat short writing assignment that allowed me to not only get done quickly, but stay interested in as well. Our assignment was to take an article about the presidential election every week and write two paragraphs about how we viewed it. We would then have a class discussion about or writing and the opinions that we had from it. That allowed me to get the writing done quickly which is my most enjoyable part, as well as incorporate my own opinions about it. I liked the discussions not only because I found it amusing hearing people bicker back and forth about politics, but also how people interpreted the articles. New insight and different interpretations are always important for me to expand my writing. That combination of writing is always the most likeable for me because it forced me to focus on the main points and not get hug up on the details like a multipage essay would.
The effect of more difficult experiences usually is much greater on my writing, especially in that instance in second grade. Because I was still so young it shaped my writing and I have tried to incorporate that ever since. It’s been ingrained in my head ever since I have seven and I don’t think that it is going to go anywhere.
Monday, April 20th, 2009
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment